Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Bedtime Songs

Tadpole doesn't really let me do bedtime songs very often anymore.  We have the bedtime routine, with books and teeth brushing and potty (often twice) and climbing into bed and a story.  And once upon a time, there were songs, but she doesn't usually let me sing bedtime songs anymore.  Now she kicks me out.  So that she can "read" her books for a while, and then maybe ask mommy to sit with her, and eventually fall asleep.  Which, as long as she doesn't wake her sister up, is fine with me.

When she does let me sing, the current rotation is:

"Puff, the Magic Dragon" (substituting her name for little Jackie Paper, and little girls instead of little boys)
"The Child Song" ("Circle Game" by Jonie Mitchell, which I learned sometime in grade school because my Friend's School was weird).  Again, substituting girl for boy where appropriate.
"Bring me a Rose in the Wintertime", again a favorite from grade school.

"Where Have All the Flowers Gone" has mostly worked its way out of the rotation.  And I can't do "When the Saints Go Marching In" anymore because Tadpole yells "Nine!" on "... in that number" now, so it's not exactly a bedtime song.

I'm looking forward to singing some of these with Sprout, when she gets to the bedtime song phase.  And after I can't do counting songs like "Twelve Days of Christmas", "Green Grow the Rushes O", and "Children, Go Where I Send Thee"

Mock my bedtime songs, I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment